Friday Fest advertises NIU organizations

By Laura Grandt

NIU’s student organizations welcomed the NIU community back to campus last Friday at the 25th annual Friday Fest, held at the King Memorial Commons.

The event, which began in 1979, encourages new students to become involved early, said Denise Rode, director of orientation at NIU.

“It’s really open to anybody, but our primary audience is really going to be new students, freshman and transfers,” she said.

Participating organization members set up at tables circling the MLK Commons, as many handed out candy and fliers in an attempt to attract attention.

“We had the equipment and the desire to get heat stroke,” joked fencing club member Courtney Wells. “We just want to show people the kind of style you can learn.”

About 120 tables and 116 organizations participated in the event, said Chris Porterfield, assistant director of orientation at NIU.

Andrea Baker, New Student Welcome Days coordinator, was pleased with the variety of organizations.

“I’m glad we have so many diverse organizations out here, representing the academic, social, recreational aspects of NIU,” Baker said.

Dan Teefey, graduate assistant for Students’ Legal Assistance, said their goal was to inform students of the types of assistance the department offers.

“It’s honestly a matter of making students aware,” he said.

The Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) also promoted awareness at the event.

VSA representative Melvin Nguyen said the club is one of the smallest on campus because few know that anyone can join.

Other organizations had recruiting in mind at Friday Fest.

“We’re hoping to recruit a bunch of members, [and] spread the word about trying to end poverty housing,” said Tom Merrion of Habitat for Humanity.