CAB gets new budget

By Shivangi Potdar

After almost two months of nail biting by members of the Campus Activities Board, Vice Provost of Student Affairs Gary Gresholdt approved a budget of $430,481 for the current fiscal year.

On May 2, Student Affairs was notified that then-SA President Kevin Miller vetoed CAB’s budget. CAB took the issue to the SA Supreme Court, which later upheld Miller’s veto.

Michelle Emmett, associate vice provost of Student Affairs, said because they respect the systems in place and the SA Supreme Court, they approved the budget recommended by Miller with only one exception – the funding for fine arts was added because obligations had been made for it.

Gresholdt, who approves the budget on June 30, added $5,500 to the budget recommended by Miller.

Before Miller’s veto, the SA Senate on April 27 approved a $508,925 budget for CAB, as recommended by the SA finance committee.

“We did our best to provide a workable solution for the student organizations on this campus,” Emmett said. “We’re trying to protect the interests of CAB. The rest of the amount, around $83,000, is being held. That money cannot be spent till the organizations have a chance to appeal.”

“This brings them back to the budget they had in 1998 without considering the inflation,” said Rick Clark, director of University Programming and Activities. “They’re trying to do programming for fall last minute, which is hard because all the entertainers have been booked.”

Brooke Beyers, programming vice president of CAB, said the cuts are ridiculous.

“We’ve been fighting for our budget for six months, and we still don’t know what we have to work with,” Beyers said. “There’s been no justification to the cuts we’ve taken. It really puts a damper on our programming.”

CAB will present its appeal to the new senate, which will be elected in late September. The deadline to file the appeal is Oct. 1, and the Senate then will have until Oct. 31 to consider CAB’s request.

Members of the SA were unavailable for comment.