Center for Black Studies breaks new ground

By Rob Heselbarth

After overcoming a delay in the budget approval process, the new Center for Black Studies building will provide NIU students with an opportunity to expand their cultural knowledge and meet other students.

The budget for the project was approved by the Board of Regents on March 18 and tractors were on the site digging up the earth on March 19.

The building is being constructed north of Lincoln Highway, south of Lincoln Terrace, between Normal Road and Carroll Avenue.

Admasu Zike, director of the Center for Black Studies, said he was pleased the construction work began so quickly after the budget was approved.

“Even though the budget approval was delayed for a while, we’re still happy the work finally began,” Zike said. “We hope to have the building up on schedule in September.”

He said some of the building’s features had to be eliminated in order to lower the budget, but the building still will provide adequate facilities.

“We will be able to have our own seminars and lectures in the building now,” he said. “We won’t have to go through the hassle of trying to book a room in the student center, which is always booked far in advance.

“We have a lot of options with the new building,” Zike said. “We will also be able to teach classes, and students can do research in it as well.”

Richard Baker, president of the NIU chapter of the NAACP, said the Board of Regents should be applauded for their efforts in relocating the various organizations in preparation for construction of the parking structure.

“The Regents could have cut the programs whose buildings are being torn down to make room for the parking structure, but they chose to relocate them, which is great,” Baker said.

He said the new building will be a place for NIU students to study, get information or catch-up with friends.

“A new building is always nice for all students,” he said. “It will be a haven of information for everyone, and no group will be excluded.”

He said students are excited and optimistic about the new building. “It will be a positive entity of the university. It will be a way the university can put out its hands and help students,” he said.

Zike said although the program’s temporary home in Kishwaukee Hall is a slight inconvenience, it will be worth the hassle when the new building is completed.

“The new building will give us a lot of stability,” he said. “It is important for us to be sure the program is stable on campus.”

He said although the center is essentially run by faculty, the students have been involved in the planning process all the way.

“A big part of the center is connected to the students,” he said. “The students wanted more but it is not always possible to accommodate their wants.”