Officials differ on name change proposal

By Peter Schuh

The proposal to give NIU’s name a face-lift has been well-received by several administrative higher-ups, while others frown on the idea.

The issue has been sparked by Senate Bill 134, which proposes NIU be renamed the University of Northern Illinois. The bill was sponsored by state Sen. Brad Burzynski, R-Sycamore.

“I’m in favor of it,” said James Norris, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

“I think we need to get as far away from the idea of being a specific-purpose university as we can,” he said. “We are a comprehensive university. UNI sounds much better than NIU. NIU sounds much too regional for me.”

James Alfini, dean of the College of Law, also saw the proposal as a clear representation of NIU.

“I think it’s a good idea because it sends a good impression of who we are,” he said. “If we can send the message that we are the University of Northern Illinois we will be taken more seriously by people, especially by public officials.”

Norman Magden, executive secretary of the University Council, agreed with the positive potential of UNI. “I think it’s a good idea because it sends a good idea of who we are,” he said. “The title does reflect the size of this university as more than just a school. It really emphasizes our regional stature, being the public institution of the northern part of the state.”

Richard Brown, dean of the College of Business, did agree the new name “has the connotation of a broader-based university,” but was a little more skeptical about its effect on the university.

“It’s a matter of what is meant by it,” he said. The name might change how other universities and academic programs consider NIU, but will not directly affect the students or the general public, he said.

“The name could help NIU’s image with other institutions if we increase our graduate programs and research output,” Brown added.

However, he said unless NIU finds additional funding for such a measure to be implemented, “NIU will be putting reduced effort into undergraduate education.”

If that were the case, Brown said, “This flies in the face of what the (Illinois Board of Higher Education) wants. The IBHE has told us we are a regional school.”

Through its Priorities, Quality and Productivity initiative, the IBHE has called for a streamlining of the state of Illinois higher education system and stressed an emphasis on undergraduate education.

“I have real problems with the timing of it, not the idea itself,” he said. “The bottom line you don’t want to lose track of is if you don’t change the quality, the name’s not going to make much of a difference.”

Magden agreed, “It’s only a name. I don’t think there are any political reasons behind it.”

Several officials noted the proposal is not a new idea.

Robert Lane, professor of Operations Management and Information Systems, did not view the proposal with nearly as much optimism. “This is the rough equivalent to polishing the rails on the Titanic.”