Affirmative action hangs in the balance

By LaShaunna Watkins

By LaShaunna Watkins

Staff Reporter

According to a recent poll administered by The Associated Press, four out five Americans believe that it is important for colleges to have a racially diverse student population. Half of those found that affirmative action was unnecessary to help blacks, Hispanics and other minorities.

The University of Michigan affirmative action case went before the Supreme Court on April 1 to decide whether colleges and universities should consider race when admitting students, mainly into public educational institutions. Protesters were marching in Washington in an effort to support affirmative action. The Supreme Court’s final decision is expected to come in July. If it decides to end affirmative action, any state-funded affirmative action will be ended.

According to FOX News, 89 percent of blacks polled said affirmative action is necessary, while 57 percent of whites believe affirmative action is unnecessary.

Andres Ortiz, president of the Organization of Latin American Students, said NIU is not as diverse as it claims to be.

“Even though NIU claims to be a diverse place, it really isn’t,” Ortiz said. “Minorities on campus are still underrepresented, overlooked and under-funded.”

Ortiz also said that historically, minorities have been denied access to universities among other things and affirmative action helps to “level the playing field.” He said the U.S. government and society has limited the opportunity for minorities to prosper.

“I don’t blame some non-minorities for being against affirmative action, but I would love for them to live one day as a minority and experience some kind of racism or discrimination,” Ortiz stated in an e-mail.

Steve Duroseau, president of the Black Student Union, also believes in affirmative action, especially in the education system.

Duroseau suggested an alternative to affirmative action.

“Minorities need to start owning their own business and becoming professionals,” he said. He said that minorities should not trust the U.S. government structure; instead they should look toward God.

Kay Forest, an associate professor and chairwoman of sociology, said she is in favor of affirmative action when it is done correctly. Forest said that when it is done incorrectly, it creates distrust among minorities and whites.

“It is done wrong when it gives the appearance of promoting unqualified minorities and women over qualified applicants,” Forest said. She also said that affirmative action still is necessary because discrimination still exists in America. Star Poll

Advertising Information | Help/Feedback | Join Us | Staff | Subscribe

© 2003 Northern Star. All Rights Reserved.