Home sweet dorm

By Shivangi Potdar

For some NIU students living in the residence halls, creative efforts dedicated to beautifying their rooms have translated into fame and fortune.

This is the first time RHA has shown recognition for the students’ time and creativity spent in making a home away from home with a Cool Room contest.

The contest was launched in mid-March, right after Spring Break. About 13 residents submitted pictures of their rooms along with a short statement saying why they thought their room was the coolest.

Pictures of the rooms were posted online for students to vote for their favorite room.

The first place winners Lindsay Diakoumis, freshman theater major and Connie MacCarty, freshman English major, received a $100 Target gift certificate.

Sarah Cooper, public relations officer for RHA, was eager to see what people had done with their rooms and was amazed by some of the themes she saw, like a fake fire place, a fancy bar and a room with a Texas theme, she said.

Second place winner, Dustin Hoffman, a freshman accountancy major, covered his wall with 777 CDs.

He also decorated his room with long-horns, posters and cowboy hats and lights.

Jessica McVey and Jennifer Wright, freshmen elementary education majors, along with Mitul Patel, a senior computer science major, Scott Dunda, Andy Giarratano and Jeff Haroldson, sophomore business majors tied for third place.