Football prepares for 2004

By Chris Jurmann

There aren’t many games where the final score means absolutely nothing.

On Thursday night at Huskie Stadium, that rule applied as the NIU No. 1 starters beat the No. 2 squad 34-0 in the Spring Intra-squad Football Game.

NIU’s No. 1 squad managed 389 yards of total offense while holding the No. 2 squad to 67 yards of total offense.

The No. 1 team’s running back tandem set the tone for the game. Sophomore Adrian Davis carried the ball 15 times for 84 yards with one touchdown, while redshirt freshman Garrett Wolfe pulled in 71 yards on 11 carries.

Sophomore Sam Hurd led the receiving core with four receptions for 120 yards, including a 39-yard touchdown catch from Ryan Gilbert, who started in place of sidelined Josh Haldi at quarterback.

The game, however, was marked by who didn’t play rather than who did. The nation’s top returning rusher Michael Turner downed the game’s opening kickoff in the end zone, but was held out the rest of the game for precautionary reasons.

Injuries forced several starters out of the lineup. The list included quarterback Josh Haldi (thumb), cornerback Randee Drew (shoulder),wide receiver P.J. Fleck (shoulder), defensive end Travis Moore (knee), safety Lionel Hickenbottom (knee) and guard Mark Orszula (leg). NIU coach Joe Novak said all players should be ready by Aug. 28 when the season begins.

“We took the opportunity tonight to take some guys that were knicked up and held them out,” Novak said. “It was an opportunity for us to give some of our young kids some good work and try to establish our two-deep lineup.”

Several recruits also were spotted along the sidelines including Mt. Carmel running back Greg Owens [he is now attending Hales Franciscan] and Naperville Central wide receiver Dan Passarelli.

“It was a little intimidating watching these guys play,” Owens said. “It’s a big difference between high school and here. There’s going to be some butterflies going into next year.”

Owens, however, is expected to enter NIU as a Prop 48, a partial qualifier, and will redshirt his first year, Novak said.

The visit gave Owens the opportunity to acquaint himself with some of the players and coaches.

“The coaches have really treated me great,” Owens added. “It’s been like a second home here for me. I got to meet Michael Turner, Randee Drew and Lionel Hickenbottom. [Defensive star] Travis Moore was telling me how he can’t wait to get me in pads next year.”

The game’s atmosphere kept Novak anticipating the start of fall practices which he knew precisely how many days were left until it begins.

“This season is going to be the hardest to wait in all my years here,” Novak said. “One hundred and ten days.”

The countdown will be important as the team needs to be ready for their first test of the season at home against the University of Maryland.

“Maryland could be the best team to ever set foot at NIU,” Novak said. “They will most likely be ranked in the top 10 or 15 in the nation entering that game. We’re just very excited to experience the challenge.”

Ultimately, the players decide next season for NIU and Novak knows he has the individual talent. How the team plays together will determine the Huskies’ future.

“We have a lot of amazing stats guys here, but there aren’t a lot of ego’s,” Novak said. “There is a maturity on this team and that was the key to last season. Everyone here cares about winning.”