Staying safe overseas

By Marisa Knudsen

For students venturing out of the country, the United States Department of State advises vacationers to research their vacation spots before hopping on a plane.

The State Department has an up-to-date Web site that provides information on any countries with U.S.-deemed travel warnings and advisories. The Web site also has information on foreign embassies and contact numbers for additional information and guidance.

Anne Seitzinger, NIU’s study abroad assistant director, has many tips for students planning to vacation abroad.

“Look around you upon arrival and be aware of your surroundings,” Seitzinger said.

Some tips the office gives traveling students are based on current events.

For instance, Seitzinger said they are monitoring the SARS virus carefully and strongly advises students to avoid political discussions and political rallies.

Study abroad administrators also advise toning it down when it comes to dressing or acting like an American, Seitzinger said.

One thing that can make Americans stand out in other countries is wearing logos that make them look like outsiders – wearing a T-shirt with an American flag on it, for example.

The study abroad program is sending more than 150 students overseas this summer, and it has had several students studying abroad this semester.

“There is definitely a heightened sense of awareness by Americans traveling overseas because anti-American sentiment is out there,” Seitzinger said. “You don’t necessarily need to expect it, but you should be aware of it.”