Organization delivers jobs to students

By Marisa Knudsen

Members of Minorities Inspiring Teaching Education had a busy Tuesday night writing essays, learning about scholarships and discussing issues relevant to their field.

The meeting of about 20 attendees was led by Juletta Patrick, assistant dean for the College of Education and MITE faculty adviser.

MITE meets on Tuesdays throughout the semester. The organization also sponsors various events and trips to reinforce topics discussed in the general assembly meetings.

Patrick told students that as a member of MITE, employers will knock on their doors instead of the students going to the employer.

“You guys are a hot commodity out there,” she told members.

On Thursday and Friday, MITE members have the opportunity to travel to Springfield for the NEA-IEA Spring Conference, which is offered each semester to education majors.

Among the many events MITE offers, one that Patrick said she is particularly enthusiastic about is a general meeting where guest Bob Ballenger will speak. Ballenger, from Carol Stream District 93, will discuss internship and permanent employment opportunities within District 93.

Ballenger is interested in recruiting NIU students to take on a paid internship, which almost is unheard of in the world of student teaching; usually, student aides are not compensated monetarily. After the internship, District 93 would pay the student’s senior year tuition fees and give them a three-year contract within the district.

“The Carol Stream school district is one of the highest paying school districts in Illinois,” Patrick said.

The meeting concluded with Patrick and her coworkers working side by side with students to polish their essays for a scholarship mentioned at the start of the meeting.

Delia Ramirez, a sophomore art education major, said this was her first time attending a MITE meeting.

“[MITE] provides students with a lot of networking, opportunities, speakers and information, said Korina Marquez, a freshman early childhood education major and MITE president.

Marquez added that the organization is a great way to get yourself out in the field of education while attending NIU.H All education majors are welcome to attend. For information, call 753-8354.

H The next general meeting will be held at 4 p.m. on April 15 at Gabel Hall’s Learning Center, Room 01F.