Attack of the wee people

By Shivangi Potdar

Students and their siblings are invited by the Residence Hall Association to a weekend filled with fun, frolic and free prizes.

“The best thing [for a kid] is coming to see visit your big brother or sister,” said Sarah Cooper, public relations officer for RHA. “It’s so exciting to see a college campus.”

RHA’s theme is “Welcome to the Jungle” as Lil’ Sibs Weekend, RHA’s biggest event of the year, kicks off this Friday.

Starting at 3 p.m., family and friends can be checked in at the front desk of all residence halls where information packages will be available.

The “Wild Jungle Rompus” dance is the first event in a series of fun and free events for students and siblings.

The dance, to be held in the Neptune Dining Hall from 8 p.m. onward, features a free raffle, a deejay, snacks like cookies and brownies and crafts.

Construction paper for making animals to be put on a mural with trees in the cafeteria will be provided.

The second day of Lil’ Sibs features a carnival, free bowling, and a party to keep the guests busy.

The main event for the weekend is a carnival at Anderson Hall. Shuttles will run continuously every 20 minutes to Anderson Hall from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Guests are invited to bring their bathing suits along for a party in the Anderson pool, an added attraction this year. Four lifeguards will be present to ensure the safety of the swimmers.

Hamburgers and hot dogs fresh off the barbecue grill, Sno-Cones and popcorn will be provided.

Campus Activities Board is having a special screening of “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” on Saturday at the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium at 7 p.m. to coincide with Lil’ Sibs Weekend.

“Last year we played the first part [during Lil’ Sibs Weekend],” said Jen Suerth, vice president of programming for CAB. “It’s usually films we contribute that we think will be popular with younger sibs.”

A Sunday morning brunch from 9 a.m. to noon in the Douglas B Dining Hall will bring a close to the events of a memorable weekend.

“We pull together whatever we have to make it the best event possible,” Baker said.

Students interested in volunteering for the weekend can e-mail Baker at [email protected]