‘Taste of Asia’ samples culture

By Shivangi Potdar

Watch a bamboo dance, learn Chinese calligraphy and sample cuisines from Southeast Asia under one roof tonight at the Newman Catholic Student Center.

“Taste of Asia,” the culminating event for Asian American heritage month, will feature student groups providing cuisines from the Philippines, China, Indonesia, Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries.

“Taste doesn’t just mean food but taste and culture,” said Hanh Nguyen, co-president of Pan Asian Interest Students Alliance, one of the organizations attending the event.

Nguyen, who attended last year’s event, said the crowd of about 200 people finished off the food pretty quickly.

“It’s a time where all the student organizations can come together to celebrate each other’s heritage,” said Michelle Bringas, program coordinator for Asian American Resources.

Spring roll and sushi making, Chinese calligraphy writing and origami making will be provided at the event. A bamboo dance will be performed by students.

Bringas said they tried to make the event more interactive through the hands-on experiences.

Winners of the of the Asian American heritage essay contest will be announced during the evening.

The event is sponsored by the Presidential Task Force on Asian Americans, Asian American Resources, Unity in Diversity Steering Committee and Asian American Alliance.