Another dose of reality

By Kim Krichbaum

Sex, lies and videotape isn’t just the name of a movie, but the theme surrounding MTV’s “The Real World.”

And Theo and Trishelle, former cast members of “The Real World: Chicago” and “The Real World: Las Vegas,” will let NIU in on all the juicy details. The two will speak for a Campus Activities Board-sponsored event at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium at the Holmes Student Center.

“I can’t wait to hear how they explain all of the crazy stuff that went down on the show,” sophomore theater major Cari Jaeckel said. “I watch the show all the time.”

Each speaker cost CAB $4,000, said CAB Speakers Coordinator Brooke Beyers, who was in charge of getting Theo and Trishelle to come speak.

“They are really inexpensive in comparison to other speakers with similar recognition,” Beyers said.

Theo is perhaps best known for his party sensibilities and his trips to the hot tubs with numerous ladies. Trishelle, being from the latest installment of “The Real World,” is best known for her southern accent and her fling with co-star Steven.

Students all over campus are getting excited about the speakers.

“They’re coming here?” sophomore business major Danae Elberts asked. “How exciting: I totally love ‘The Real World,’ especially Trishelle’s season. All the crazy stuff that went on between her roommates made for an awesome show.”

Sophomore nursing major Tina Coffaro agreed.

“I love all the drama on that show, and of course the Trishelle roommate hookups,” Coffaro said. “Everybody hooks up with everybody, it is just so fun to watch. It will be interesting to hear them talk about it.”

The duo is not the first of “The Real World” cast members to speak at NIU. Aneesa of “The Real World: Chicago,” spoke to a crowd of 750 people last November. During her talk, Aneesa called Theo on his cell phone and let the audience say hello.