Honoring black alumni

By Shivangi Potdar

For the first time in NIU history, an entire weekend will be dedicated to the achievements of black alumni.

The NIU Black Alumni Awards weekend will feature a series of activities designed to encourage alumni to return to their alma mater, said Keith Barns, corresponding secretary for the graduate chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, one of the weekend’s sponsors.

The Professional Networking Seminar and Reception that will be held today is a chance for undergraduate students to mingle with alumni that were once in their shoes and hear their success stories, Barns said.

Recruiters will be at the event to talk about professionalism and the Career Planning and Placement Center will have information about summer jobs.

The keystone event of the weekend will be the Kemet Awards ceremony. Eleven awards will be presented to black alumni who have made significant achievements in their fields and in the community, and to faculty who have played a significant role in the development of black students on campus, Barns said.

Other events for the weekend include a step show, the B.B. King concert, the Northern Black Choir Concert and Unity Day.

Edward Quinn, former president of Alpha Phi Alpha, and 2002 communication alumnus will be attending the events.

“It’s like a high school reunion, family reunion and big picnic tied into one,” Quinn said. “I’m looking forward to seeing those who have graduated.”

The weekend is sponsored by the NIU Pepsi Grant, the alumni chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, NIU President’s Office, NIU Student Association, Black Graduate Student Association and NIU Academic Support Services.