Stand up and lead the crowd

By Tia Speat

The Northern Leadership Institute will hold its third institute on Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center. This year’s theme is campus leadership.

The institute is open to all students who have registered beforehand, and it is designed to help them improve their leadership skills.

Accountancy professor and Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award recipient David Sinason will give the opening speech for the institute. Leadership scholar Nance Lucas is the keynote speaker. He is the director of the James MacGregor Burns Academy of Leadership at the University of Maryland.

“Nance Lucas has the expertise, knowledge and motivation that we need,” said Krystal Kleinschmidt, co-chair of the NLI.

As the day progresses, participants will partake in numerous activities. Students have the opportunity to participate in several workshops with a variety of topics relating to campus leadership ranging from stress management to group dynamics.

Each workshop is led by a session leader with expertise in that particular field. After these breakout sessions, students will attend a panel discussion with NIU alumni where they can ask specific questions.

“These sessions are very beneficial because the alumni get to come back and give students their expertise and opinions,” said NLI adviser Bertram Dugan.

All participants must be registered before the conference. For

information, visit the NLI Web site at www.sa.niu.edu/nli