Cultural show to be held at arena

By Tia Speat

Next week, the Indian Student Association will make NIU history. The ISA will be holding its annual cultural show at the Convocation Center. It will be the first student organization to host an event there.

The show, which features traditional Indian dance, fashion and music, is usually held in either the Carl Sandburg Auditorium or at the Egyptian Theatre. However, this year the ISA decided to hold it in the Convo Center in hopes of attracting more people.

“We want the show to attract not only the NIU community, but people outside of it as well,” said coordinator of the cultural show, Theresa Mathew.

The usage of a large venue such as the Convo Center can get costly. According to the Convocation Center’s Student Organization Guide, the cost can reach into thousands of dollars.

However, the ISA will not foot the bill on its own. It has numerous sponsors to help with the expenses of the show.

Dr. Promod Vohra, faculty adviser to the ISA, said the show is designed to increase Indian cultural awareness by projecting positive Indian images to NIU and to the world.

One of the highlights of the cultural show will be the performance of Bharat Maryan, a traditional Indian dance that takes eight to 10 years to learn.

The show will also feature a fashion show.

Sophomore biology major Beena Joseph is modeling for the fashion show. She said she is excited about the show.

“It’s a way for Indian students to embrace their heritage and culture,” Joseph said.H Who: Indian Student Association