Card spells savings for students

By LaShaunna Watkins

The Student Association and Collegiate Services Inc. are offering NIU students a chance to save money by using the Student Savings Club Card.

This card will allow students to receive a discount at many local retailers in the DeKalb/ Sycamore area. According to the SA, if the cards are used frequently, the discounts can add up to a lot of money during the the course of a school year.

There are several restaurants listed on the card, such as Shelly’s, McDonald’s, Molly’s Eatery and Drinkery and Pita Pete’s. Auto services also are included on the card. Students can go to shops like Sycamore Mitsubishi, Lube Pro’s and Tires Plus and receive a substantial discount on their automotive needs. Other services that offer discounts with the card are various hair salons, entertainment venues and retailers.

Kevin O’Kelly, SA chief of staff, said this service is good for students living off-campus.

“This service is great for off- campus students who don’t have access to meal plans,” O’Kelly said.

Kimberly Judson, assistant professor of the marketing department, said this sales promotion would not persuade students to spend more than they need to.

“I feel that NIU students possess good critical thinking skills and most likely make smart consumer decisions,” Judson said.

Judson also said the collegiate services card appears to be a good sales promotion technique for area businesses seeking to create awareness and attract students as customers.

Despite the fact that the card offers several discounts, students have neglected the card, according to area retailers.

“I haven’t seen any increase in sales since the card’s release,” said Pete Lutz, manager of Pita Pete’s, 901 Lucinda Ave.

The card is not only available to students, but to faculty and staff members as well. O’Kelly also said this service is free for students. The cards are available at the front desks of the residence halls, the SA office and the University Programming and Activities office in the Campus Life Building. O’Kelly said eventually the cards will be available in academic buildings, such as DuSable and Barsema halls. O’Kelly also said that inevitably, more merchants will be added to the roster because student will opt not to go with them if they are not listed.

For information about the card, call the SA office at 753-0482.