Conference covers religious conflicts

By Shivangi Potdar

The 2003 NIU Student Conference on Southeast Asian Affairs was attended by 50 students, professors and Southeast Asia enthusiasts Saturday at the Holmes Student Center’s Illinois Room.

The conference, hosted by the Southeast Asia Club and the Center for Southeast Asian Studies, was an opportunity for students to present papers about “religious accommodation and conflict in Southeast Asia.”

“[The conference] can provide a general background into the history, politics and culture of Southeast Asian countries. We work to spread knowledge about them,” said Jessica Rinehart, president of the Southeast Asia Club.

Five papers were presented by graduate students from the political science and anthropology departments.

Topics ranged from women in Indonesian politics from the Islamic perspective and the influx of Buddhism and the role of Buddhist monks in politics to Muslim-Christian intermarriages in the Philippines.

Each presentation was followed by commentary from an expert on the subject and left open to questions from the audience.

The highlight of the conference was keynote speaker Kathleen Adams from the Loyola University at Chicago anthropology department.

“I have a fond place in my heart for NIU,” Adams said. “The library has some of the best resources in Southeast Asian studies.”

Adams, a cultural anthropologist of Indonesia, gave a presentation on “Images of peacemaking and conflict in Eastern Indonesia.” She presented local examples of peacemaking attempts using linguistic and artistic means through her paper and a slide show presentation.

Maria Ernita Joaquin’s paper about unfounded mandates in the Philippines won the best paper at the end of the day and was awarded $250.

Daniel Unger, an associate professor in the political science department, brought an end to the days discussions with a brief talk about accommodation, conflict and survival in Southeast Asia.

“I enjoyed hearing some of the discussions on the hot topics,” said Jenn Weidman, an anthropology graduate student who attended the conference. “It provided greater awareness and depth of the issues.”