Faculty Senate considers grade change

By Sarah Rejnert

Wednesday’s Faculty Senate meeting began with Faculty Senate President Sue Willis, as almost a routine, talking about budget problems.

“The budget situation is still a mess and undetermined,” Willis said. “President [Peters] was supposed to be here today, but he’s in Springfield. He’s there a lot nowadays.”

Nominations as well as elections took place for a new Faculty Senate president and University Council secretary.

Willis was nominated to be president of the Faculty Senate, and she will continue her role next year. There were no other nominations for president.

David Wagner, associate professor of history, proposed an addition to the existing grading system. Wagner offered that the grades A/B, B/C and C/D be added to the official grading system at NIU.

“The University of Wisconsin uses this now, which I think is adequate to defend its situation,” Wagner said.

Wagner also pointed out that such a system was adopted in 1969, but the University Council never implemented it.

“I get angry when I have to give grades each semester, and something needs to be done,” Wagner said. “A lot of times I give students A’s just because I believe they deserve a B-plus, not just a B.”

A Faculty Senate member wondered why the program was never put into action if it was formally adopted in 1969.

“It was just one of those mysteries,” Wagner said. “It was said that the computers couldn’t handle it. I think our computers can deal with it now. I think it is more necessary for the graduate students than the undergraduates, but it is vital.”

The Faculty Senate referred the proposal to the Academic Affairs Committee for further discussion.