Concert raises money and cancer awareness

By LaShaunna Watkins

Loud music and enthusiastic fans were at the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge on Thursday night in honor of the Relay for Life program.

The program was organized by the student organization Colleges Against Cancer. The fundraiser was a battle of the bands.

President of Colleges Against Cancer, Amy Garrison, said the purpose of the concert was to raise money for the Relay for Life program and to promote cancer awareness on campus.

“We’re here to help anyone who has been affected by cancer,” Garrison said.

Four out of the five bands that were scheduled to perform showed up. The bands who performed were Where’s Jimmy K At?, Uphill Ski Team, Prank and Joe’s Mom.

The bands each donated $15 to play at the concert and donated money to help the cause.

“We’re all about charity,” said Juan Martinez, guitar player for Uphill Ski Team. “It’s important to give back to the community.”

All of the donations will go to the American Cancer Society.

The concert started with the members of Colleges Against Cancer chanting, “We have relay, yes we do. We have relay, how about you?”

The members of the organization handed out Hawaiian leis and sold glow sticks. Many fans came not only to support the fight for cancer, but also to see the bands play.

The crowd was very receptive as they screamed and danced while the bands played. The rowdier the crowd the got, the more free T-shirts and hats they received from Colleges Against Cancer.

“I came to see Joe’s Mom,” said Bridget Becvard, a sophomore English major. “I also came to support the cause because my grandparents suffered and died from cancer.”

The winner of the battle of the bands was Prank. They will be providing the entertainment for the Relay for Life event.

Colleges Against Cancer’s work will not stop here.

Garrison said there will be a Relay for Life event on April 4 and 5. It will be from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. No one will be able to sleep, and it will symbolize that cancer never sleeps.

“Everyone is welcome to participate in the Relay for Life,” Garrison said.

The cost is $5, and $7 if you want food. The organization will also have panel discussions and an event called “Picture the Cure,” which also will be a fundraiser.