Getting comfy in the New Orleans Room

By LaShaunna Watkins

Imagine a getaway where you could relax by laying down on a soft couch, play fussball, pool or watch a basketball game on a flat screen 61-inch television all for free. The good news is that it is conveniently located on campus at Stevenson Towers North C-Tower.

Junior psychology and nursing major Sophie Burgos talks to her friend Thelma Vega, a senior sociology and political science major, in the New Orleans Room located at Stevenson Towers.

“Many students are not taking advantage of this recreational facility or may not even be aware the facility exists,” said Keith Krutchen, administrative vice president for the Residence Hall Association.

The New Orleans Room was constructed in the 1960s and was closed in the 1980s. The exact reason it was closed is not known. The room was always intended to be a recreational facility. Since its closing, the room has been used for storage until renovations started in 2000. It officially reopened in fall 2001.

“I have implemented a five-year plan to renovate the New Orleans to make it a coffee house atmosphere,” Krutchen said.

Eventually food services will be added to the New Orleans Room so students can eat in addition to having fun, he added.

Upon walking into the New Orleans Room, it looks like an elegant Italian restaurant in downtown Chicago. There are vending machines and soft couches used for lounging. It can be rented to hold organizational group meetings, and students can hold social gatherings.

There still is work to be done in the room.

“I only have a $5,000 budget to work with, and that doesn’t go far,” Krutchen said.

The room has made many additions including the 61-inch television, posh leather furniture and a marble angel fountain. Each year RHA hopes to make more additions to the facility so it can attract more students. RHA would like to gather some art students to paint a mural.

The New Orleans Room is open Monday through Friday from 6 to 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. The room is not open late on the weekend because there must be an employee there if the facility is to be open.

Krutchen said since students don’t take advantage of the room anyway, it would be unreasonable to pay an employee and take more money out of their budget.

Eventually, students will not have to travel all the way to Stevenson to experience a good time. Lincoln’s former weight room will be renovated to make a room similar to the New Orleans Room. The Barn in Grant Towers will also be renovated into a recreational facility.