21 students to attend ‘wild, wild’ conference

By Shivangi Potdar

Twenty-one NIU students will be leaving for the Illinois Residence Hall Association’s annual conference at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus this Friday.

The theme of this year’s three-day conference, being attended by 14 Illinois schools, is “Wild, Wild IRHA.”

The conference is a big cheering showdown for attending schools, each of which will be bringing their own cheers and full-throated delegates.

Along with tremendous school spirit and Huskie pride, the students are taking banners, displays, T-shirts and spirit items.

Spirit items, like pens, cups and magnetic dog bones, will be exchanged with other schools.

Dedicated students also have been putting together a five-minute dance to the theme “The Good, the Bad and the Huskies” for the opening ceremony.

“People at NIU sometimes feel a lack of [school] pride. You don’t realize how good your school is until you see other schools,” said Sarah Cooper, public relations coordinator for RHA, who also attended last year’s conference.

The opening ceremony kicks off the conference and is followed by a Friday night of free bowling, pool, karaoke and socialization.

On Saturday, the delegates will be attending programs about leadership, positional development and personal development.

Aparna Rae, a freshman visual communication major, will be attending this year’s IRHA and looks forward to getting programming ideas and meeting representatives from other schools.

A banquet and awards ceremony on Saturday night will bring an end to the official proceedings.

Last year, NIU managed to take home four awards, including Large School of the Year. This year, RHA has raised the stakes by bidding for seven awards.

“We’re looking forward to the awards. We put our heart and soul into bidding for it,” said Angela D’ambrosio, RHA conference coordinator.