Huskie buses pack them in

By Amy Koscielski

DeKalb winter winds and snowfall are a few reasons that cause students to fill the Huskie Buses until they bulge, causing schedule back-ups.

Although the buses seem more crowded this semester, Maurice Montgomery, Student Association director of transportation, said the crowding depends on the weather.

“The only times when the bus seems really crowded is when it is snowing and cold,” said Liz Cleary, a sophomore music education and vocal major. “I always just barely fit on the bus those days.”

Charlie Batista, manager of the Huskie Bus Line, said that besides the weather causing buses to be crowded it also is because of students taking the buses only between classes.

“Students who catch the bus right before class lets out don’t have the same crowding problem as the students who wait till it gets busy,” Batista said. “Students should plan ahead and anticipate students who don’t normally ride the bus to be taking it when the weather is nasty and in between class.”

Another problem students encounter is missing the bus or waiting for the next bus because of the schedule running late.

“I can understand how it can be difficult for the buses to stay on schedule since they run all over campus, but they shouldn’t let it happen so often that it affects students from getting to class on time,” said Tim Antor, a senior organizational management major.

Montgomery said the Huskie Buses are set up to come past the residence halls within five minutes of each other.

“The reason why the buses are usually off schedule is not the bus drivers fault or the result of not enough buses,” Montgomery said. “[It] takes a very long time for buses to load, and in between classes there is a lot of traffic on the road because those who aren’t riding the bus are getting a car ride from their friend.”

To solve this problem, students should go out and wait for the bus at least a half an hour before their class or earlier on the most horrific winter days, leaving the buses less crowded and guaranteeing students a space to fit on to the bus and make it to class on time.

The SA is working on plans for new and additional buses, but the discussion is not finished.

Montgomery said that one idea in the works is putting slogans on the buses to encourage students to ride them instead of congesting the road with carpooling that causes the buses to run slower.