Sharing common bonds

By Marisa Knudsen

Two of the world’s major monotheistic religions’ views on life were questioned, shared and appreciated Thursday night. An interfaith panel discussion ended the week-long lectures the Muslim Student Association hosted as a part of Islam Awareness Week.

The panel was to consist of three different points of three different religions — one Jewish, one Muslim and one Christian, but the Christian scheduled speaker couldn’t not make it due to an emergency. Retired NIU journalism professor Avi Bass, who is the counselor emeritus for the Jewish student organization NIU Hillel, spoke on Judaism. Representing the Muslim faith was Fisal Hammouda, an Imam and activist from Greater Chicago.

Bass began, explaining the three principle goals of the Jewish faith – to study the law of the scriptures, to recognize that worship is a form of working and to do the right things. Bass emphasized that worship is not to be taken lightly; specific times for prayer and worship must be assigned and upheld. He also said that followers of the Jewish faith accept other points of view, even if they disagree with it.

“Each person in the world has a different view and Judaism says that that is good,” Bass said. “It’s not what we believe, but that’s okay.”

Hammouda began by emphasizing the importance of tolerating differences and learning to live in peace with people of all religions and ethnicities. The only time the world has ever lived in complete peace and serenity was during Muslim rule, he said.

Hammouda also stated that it is important to worship and pray because it brings people closer to God. He said that going to school and eating are forms of worship because getting an education and taking care of yourself make you better, which is what God wants.

“Believing in God without doing any deeds does no good,” Hammouda said.

Maie Seif, secretary of the MSA, initiated questions to the speakers. “According to your religion, how does one reach salvation?” she asked each representative.

Bass said that this is not an important question for Judaism, but that salvation can be found here on earth. He said that we are judged by the deeds we perform while here on earth.

Hammouda said that followers of the Muslim religion try to reach salvation by balancing their lives with God. He said that one must admit their guilt and ask God for forgiveness.

Bass lightened the atmosphere with a joking response when an audience member asked, “What happens to a non-Jewish person that dies, if they were a good person while on Earth?”

“We believe that all people stand before God, even those who are not Jewish,” Bass said. “But nobody has sent us a postcard back yet on that one, so we can’t be sure.”

Some tension mounted in the audience when someone asked Hammouda why Osama bin Laden was killing people in the name of Allah.

“There is no valid, concrete evidence to prove that bin Laden is responsible for the terrorist attacks,” he said. “At one time, Osama worked for [America] with his own blood and sweat.”

Hammouda wanted people to remember that they must think of God not just in bad times, but also in good.

“We never think of God when we have a new car with a full tank of gas,” Hammouda said. “But we sure think about him when we are stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire and no gas.”

Hammouda said that if we commit ourselves to God, we will become better human beings.

“We must make this land better for future generations,” he said. “The challenge in front of us is how to deal with each other and accept each other.”

Bass stressed the importance of searching for meaning and answers.

“There is no one answer,” he said. “But you still have to search for one.”

Kat Oefelein, a freshman history major, attended the panel discussion to learn more about Islam. Once a Roman Catholic, Oefelein is in the process of converting to Islam because she was unhappy with the Catholic faith.

“It is difficult to describe,” she said. “I felt like I lost something with Catholicism, and I have found it here.”

Amani Farraj, a freshman computer science major and MSA member, said that she was very pleased with the panel discussion because she learned things she did not know before.

To conclude Islam Awareness Week, the MSA will host Friday prayer at 1:15 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room.