Tags means tickets

By Amy Koscielski

Driving with parking permits hanging from rear-view mirrors off campus could could result in a traffic ticket.

Most students know that it’s a driving violation to have something that possibly could get in the way of clear site of the road hanging from their rearview mirror. But what students may not know is that NIU’s parking permit hang tags may as well be one of those objects.

“In issuing the parking tags, NIU is well aware of the vehicle code that states no object should be placed between the driver and the windshield or any window that obstructs their view of the road,” said Ron Pearson, director of Campus Parking Services.

He said it is mainly up to the officer’s discretion to determine if the tag is included in this part of the law or not.

For this reason, NIU parking services cites a clause on the back of each parking tag, warning students to take down the tag while the car is in motion so that negative results do not ensue.

“About four years ago, we made the tag smaller, but it still needs to be big enough to be seen,” Elizabeth Zarek of parking services said.

Instead of hang tags, window stickers are an option. But students like Megan Pitz, a sophomore political science and public law major, don’t want to have a sticker stuck to their window so they opt for the hang tag, Pearson said.

Students shouldn’t have to worry about this law being enforced too harshl, though.

“Technically, the parking permit tags could be considered to be obstructing vision and students should take them down when they drive, but they are small enough that they aren’t hazardous to have while driving,” said University Police Lt. Matthew Kiederlen.

Kiederlen said that University Police don’t usually give tickets for parking tags left hanging and are discouraged to do so.

“We don’t want to set students up to get a ticket,” Kiederlen said. “Now, if someone were to have a pile of Mardi Gras beads hanging from their mirror, we may pull them over and have them remove the beads, but not necessarily write them a ticket.”jenny gembala photo

Items, including parking permits issued by NIU, hanging from your rearview mirror are deemed illegal by Illinois law.