‘Dazed and confused’

By Kim Krichbaum

“Dazed and Confused” is a journey back into high school and partying in the ’70s.

The movie takes place during the last day of school at a Texas high school and the parties that happen that night. The appeal of the movie is that people can relate to the its issues – such as being picked on by the upperclassmen or even getting drunk out in the woods.

-It’s 1976 on the last day before summer vacation. The seniors plan a series of sadistic initiation activities for the incoming freshmen. The senior girls have all the incoming freshman girls lie on the ground in the high school parking lot, covered in ketchup, eggs and flour, while the boys go after the incoming freshman boys with wooden paddles. The movie continues by showing what happens that night at the party at the Moon Tower.

“Dazed” doesn’t exactly have a strict plot. It shows the characters during their night of partying. It focuses on one group for a while then moves on to the next, which gives us a sense of a fast-paced, jumbled night of drinking. Eventually all the groups cross paths.

The script shows the characters’ inner feelings about becoming older and their concerns over the rigid social structure in school. The cast is complete with well-researched characters. Every kind of high school character – including a stoner jock, hot girls, creepy older guys and the nerds – shows up. The dialogue and script for the time are right on considering the main character is named “Pink” Floyd after the band of the same name.

The movie contains an all-star cast including Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaughe, Joey Lauren Adams, Parker Posey, Milla Jovovich and Jeremy London. Most of these actors have moved on from their “Dazed and Confused” days and have become prominent and wealthy actors.

With such a great cast of characters and witty writing, “Dazed and Confused” has become a classic and one of the funniest films of the past 10 years. Do yourself a favor, and rent the movie. You won’t be sorry.