Help our Mothers

By Marisa Knudsen

The NIU Women’s Studies Program is working on a new scholarship that will both honor mothers as well as reward students whose career goals include improving the lives of women.

The Mothers Memorial Scholarship Fund will welcome all contributions, large and small, that are donated in honor of mothers or those who act as mothers.

The Women’s Studies Program hopes to reach its goal of raising $10,000 by June 2003 so that the first scholarships can be awarded in spring 2004.

The scholarship started out as an idea from two faculty members, said Amy Levin, director of Women’s Studies.

Lois Self, chair and associate professor of the communication department, and Carole Minor, professor from the department of counseling, adult and health education, have both made contributions to the fund they brainstormed and helped to build.

Minor has made a donation in the name of her mother, Louise Hicks Walker Doan (1920-2001). Doan was a registered nurse and served in World War II as a lieutenant in the Army Air Corps.

Everyone who makes a donation will be acknowledged by name in a publicized list of women honored by the scholarship.

The scholarship will be open to upper division and graduate students only, Levin said. The fund’s committee is still working on formulating a selections process.

Levin said that she believes that the scholarship will reach its $10,000 endowment in time to award scholarships in spring 2004.

Applicants will be able to apply for the scholarship once the fund has reached its $10,000 goal. For information, call Levin at 753-1038.