Donate eggs for cash

By LaShaunna Watkins

Many NIU students, mainly female, probably have noticed local newspaper ads from an organization promising to give women $5,000 for donating their eggs.

The Center for Egg Options is an Illinois-based company for couples that are not able to produce a child.

According to the center’s Web site, women who are interested in applying must be between the ages of 18 to 32. Also, they must be “physically and emotionally healthy, have no history of infertility and emdometriosis, drug free, and single or in a stable relationship.” After meeting the minimal requirements, the donor candidate must fill out a questionnaire that requires that she give background information about her and her family.

“Photographs are required to help in the selection by our egg recipients,” the Web site stated.

The administrators from the company declined a telephone interview.

Dr. Joseph Baumgart, a fertility specialist, said the process of selling eggs is fairly common.

Though he doesn’t perform the process, he said the process is in vitro fertilization. It is for women who have reached menopause, reached menopause too early or are having trouble fertilizing.

“Woman just don’t donate one egg, but actually several eggs,” Baumgart said.

The donor is given an injection to make her produce several eggs. This causes excess bleeding and bloating.

“Some risks include ovarian hyper-stimulation [pumping out large amounts of hormones], weight gain and dehydration,” Baumgart said.

But the $5,000 isn’t enough bait for all females. Many students are against this process because of the risks involved.

“I wouldn’t do it because it could screw up your system. You have to take medication and you are actually harming your body,” said Monique Swanson, a sophomore accountancy major.

The percentage of donors who were hospitalized because of aftereffects is under 5 percent, Baumgart said.

Other female students are against the fact that selling their eggs would be like selling a part of themselves.

“I couldn’t see myself doing it because it would be like my kids running around and I wouldn’t even know them,” said Tamika Nelson, a junior sociology major.

On the flip side, other females see egg donation as a way to enrich the lives of couples that are unable to produce children naturally.

“I would do it for free because I would be helping someone,” said Tanesha Alexander, a sophomore management major.

Anyone interested in learning more about this process can call the Center for Egg Options at (847) 656-8733, or visit www.egg411.com. Star Poll