CAB gets ready to ‘Party Hard’ with Andrew W.K.

By Sara Blankenheim

Campus Activities Board Concerts is bringing in another act as part of an ongoing series of shows this year.

Andrew W.K. will perform Feb. 21 at the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.

“The reason we booked him is because he’s a heavy metal artist,” said CAB Concerts Coordinator, John Ugolini. “A lot of people have requested heavy metal artists.”

Ugolini said Andrew W.K. is the second most requested artist among students, behind Dave Matthews Band.

“He’s very charismatic,” Ugolini said. “Some people might even come to see him because he’s a conversation piece.”

Ugolini also stated that Andrew W.K. is known for his high energy shows.

“He has this real crazy stage presence,” he said. “He wants everyone to share in and relate to his music.”

Along with his talent for music, Ugolini said Andrew W.K. is good with his fans.

“When he played at the Metro, he stayed after for two hours to talk with his fans,” he said. “He’s even gone to fans’ houses to eat dinner and hang out with them.”

The 23-year-old is best known for his song “We Want Fun,” which was recorded for “Jackass: The Movie.”

The song is in medium rotation on the country’s top radio stations, while his album “I Get Wet” has sold more than 750,000 copies.

Tickets for the event go on sale Monday at the HSC Box Office.

Ticket prices are $13 for the general public and $10 for students with a valid NIU OneCard.

Tickets may be charged by phone at 753-3146.

For information, call the CAB office at 753-1580 or

visit CAB’s Web site at www.niu.edu/cab.