Clarifying Islam misconceptions

By Jessica King

The Muslim Student Association started off Islam Awareness Week with a presentation on peace and jihad Monday night, which raised many questions from the audience.

Hadam Soliman, a senior OMIS major and vice president of the MSA, gave a speech titled, “Islam: A Religion of Peace?” that touched on the concepts of peace and jihad as they relate to Islam.

Saad Quadri, a sophomore English major and president of the MSA, opened the event, and Omar Mishal, a junior electrical engineering major, read a passage from the Islamic holy book, the Quran.

About 30 people listened intently as Soliman explained the meaning of jihad and outlined its 13 forms.

He described jihad’s meaning as “to strive to one’s utmost” or “to struggle.” This is different from the commonly accepted definition of “holy war.” Jihad can be used against one’s self, against the devil, against unbelievers or against one’s oppressors, he said.

“Jihad is not a means to force others into Islam,” Soliman said.

He quickly spoke about secularism and Islamic states, and said an Islamic military was a practical way of dealing with secular states that also have military systems. One justification of jihad could be invoked if some state was prohibiting Muslims from practicing their religion, he said. Jihad is not just the use of armed force, but also the use of of speech, belief and wealth.

Soliman discussed the meaning of peace. Islam preaches peace that could necessitate loss of life to ensure the continuance of Islam, he said. Control of material resources is not an acceptable reason for war.

One common cause of discord is racism, which is prohibited by Islamic teaching. Class conflicts are reduced because laws are supposed to come from God, and be applied equally to all people.

Attendees at the presentation inquired about topics ranging from the Taliban regime, forms of Islam, treatment and education of Muslim women and polygamy in Islam.

“The questions went much better than planned,” Quadri said.

Audience members spoke in a positive manner after the presentation.

“There is an interest in finding knowledge about Islam,” said Rehana Abdallah, a business graduate student . “The speaker did an excellent job of explaining the true meaning of jihad, a hot topic in today’s society.”

Terra Potter, a junior political science major, agreed, saying the presentation was very informative for both Muslims and non-Muslims.

In continuation of Islam Awareness Week, the MSA will host a lecture exploring monotheism as well as expanding more on jihad at 7:30 p.m. today at the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room.