UHS renovation nears completion

By Rob Heselbarth

NIU students finally will be able to get medical attention next semester where they were intended to—at the University Health Service.

The UHS renovation and asbestos removal project, which has been going on since 1988 when high levels of asbestos were discovered, should be finished by the end of this semester.

The original completion date for the project was December 1991, but various delays such as the re-contamination of two floors in the health center, contamination of outside soil and damage to the interior of the building have forced that date back to spring 1993.

The renovation and asbestos removal has forced the UHS to be temporarily located on the second floor of the Holmes Student Center (HSC), the DeKalb Clinic and Neptune East.

UHS Director Rosemary Lane said one of the UHS departments currently in the DeKalb Clinic will move at the end of this semester.

“The gynecological department will be leaving the DeKalb Clinic after graduation,” Lane said.

She said the most realistic date for the UHS to move back into its original building is the first week of June, after the semester is over.

“We hope to get settled before the summer semester begins,” she said. “We should be able to do it.”

Lane added that if the UHS is not able to completely move in before the summer semester begins, they will at least have the first aid department open in the HSC.

Roland Schreiber, architect for NIU Architectural and Engineering Services, would not comment about the project to The Northern Star.

Mia Jazo, Capital Development Board (CDB) spokesperson, said the asbestos removal has been completed and all that is left to complete is the renovation.

Jazo said the scope of the project has remained the same and there have been no cost fluctuations.

“They have started replacing ceiling grids and wall coverings on the upper floors,” Jazo said. “Work is progressing very well.”

She confirmed that the whole project still is on schedule for completion in spring 1993.