Universities upset over adult films

By Andrew Duff

They struck at Arizona State and stripped its student government’s executive vice president of his position. At Indiana University, they’re causing a big media flare-up and getting great publicity over shooting their work on the university’s campus.

Wondering what’s going on?

Shane Enterprises, with its pornographic movie series, “Shane’s World,” has been showing up at college campuses and getting students to participate in the movies. Then the company sells the videos without the university’s permission.

While Arizona State is punishing the students, and Indiana University is threatening a lawsuit if anything in the video shows IU trademarks, both schools agree that the movies wouldn’t have been allowed had Shane Enterprises requested to do them.

There’s nothing like that going on at NIU — at least that the university knows about.

Judicial Office Director Larry Bolles doesn’t think porn is a problem at NIU.

“Nobody complains about it, so it hasn’t been a big issue,” he said.

Most offenses that Bolles could recall happened in the 1980s.

“They would cut stuff out of magazines and mail them to people, and [the people who received the pornography] would get pissed and send it to me,” Bolles said.

A few years ago, one person downloaded pornographic material on a school computer and lost his job for it. But that’s as severe as school punishment has gotten over the issue, Bolles said.

Bolles cited an unusual activity last week, where he heard reports of people running around naked.

“Three guys running nude down Normal Road, trying to join some social club,” Bolles said with a laugh.

Student business has been steady at the Paperback Grotto, an adult bookstore, 157 E. Lincoln Highway.

“Probably about 100 people a day. Mostly college students, mainly male,” said an employee, who requested to remain anonymous. Store policy prevents Grotto employees from releasing their names over the phone.

When asked if the store was carrying any of the “Shane’s World” series, the employee was unsure.

“At one point we did, but right now we’ve got way too many videos to be sure.”

Larry Bolles had a final comment about NIU students and pornography.

“Our student body is relatively conservative,” Bolles said.