Toys for Tots comes to DeKalb

By Sarah Rejnert

It’s that time of year when the malls are decorated in red and green. Holiday sales are everywhere, and the gift-giving season has begun.

This season is more difficult for those in need, but if you’d like to help these people, the first Toys for Tots drive will be held at NIU.

The Student Advisory Committee is sponsoring a collection that will run from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays; it started Monday and will run through Dec. 13. Students can drop off new, unwrapped toys at the campus drop-off in the main lobby of Gilbert Hall.

There is a greater need for teenage toys this year, said Melissa Karson, a member of SAC and a senior textile, apparel and merchandising major. Sporting equipment, like baseballs and soccer balls, video games, CDs and movies are among the gifts SAC hopes to collect.

The Toys for Tots Program is a non-profit public charity run by the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves. According to its Web site, the foundation provides funding and support needed for successful toy collection and distribution. Toys for Tots has the potential to influence youngsters’ development needs, to grow into responsible and productive patriotic citizens and community leaders, according to the Web site.

Andrea Padilla, president of SAC and a senior textile, apparel and merchandising major, hopes the event will be held annually.

Karson was the brainchild of this operation.

“I did it in high school through the honor society,” Karson said. “At the beginning of this school year I was trying to think of ideas for community service and this one came to mind. I mentioned it to the committee, they liked the idea, so I made contacts and got it started.”

Padilla is hoping to get about two car loads of toys.

“I don’t think that’s asking too much,” Padilla said. “It is going to support the DeKalb County tots and teens.”

SAC’s next community service project is Bowl for Kids Sake, which will be held Feb. 17-20.