‘Real World’ cast member to visit NIU

By Stephanie Barnes

NIU students will have a chance to see Aneesa from MTV’s “The Real World: Chicago,” which was the show’s 11th season.

The event will be at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

Aneesa will speak to students about accepting diversity, resolving conflicts, creating and maintaining relationships and coping with grief.

The youngest of two children, she was born and raised by a black father and a Jewish mother. Aneesa, who is a lesbian, has struggled to find her place in the world.

On the show, many people saw Aneesa as being quick-tempered and compassionate, all of which helped her transition in living with six strangers.

Sophomore business major Aimee Panlilio said Aneesa seemed very outspoken on the show.

“She didn’t care what people thought about her and if she had something to say she would say it,” Panlilio said.

Sophomore dance major Heather Sherman said she is excited and surprised that Aneesa is going to speak at NIU.

“She gave off a bad impression during the first half of the show and then you wanted to see more of her toward the end,” Sherman said. “I think it’s cool that NIU is bringing her here.”

Sophomore chemistry major Carl Sullivan said Aneesa was one of the best cast members.

“I thought she brought more entertainment to the show than anyone else,” Sullivan said. “It was funny watching her get into arguments with Tonya and her girlfriends.”

This event is part four of six in the Campus Activity Board Speakers Series. It’s sponsored by CAB and allocated by the Student Association.