SA fills more senate seats

By Sara Blankenheim

The Student Association filled five of the six remaining senate seats at its nearly three-hour meeting Sunday.

Six candidates out of the 12 applicants came before the senate for appointment.

Sen. Mike Brady cautioned the senate not to be hasty in its decision.

“I would just like to remind the senate that there are 12 applicants,” he said. “We haven’t heard all of the candidates, so I would urge the body not to rush.”

The candidates each presented their ideas and reasons for wanting to be in the senate.

New Senator Lindsey Francois, a junior political science major, expressed her concern for the amount of women on the senate.

“I’m interested in getting more women on the senate, hopefully starting with me,” Francois said.

Philip Stroud, a political science major and the only freshman to come before the senate, also was approved.

“I’ve enjoyed coming to the senate meetings,” Stroud said. “I feel it’s going in a positive direction and I’d like to be a part of that.”

New Senator Bill Nickol, a sophomore political science major, is interested in the governmental aspect of the senate.

“I’ve always had an interest in government,” he said. “Anyone who knows me can attest to that.”

Ryan Billedo, a senior computer science major, also was approved.

“I think there’s a lack of Asian-American leaders on campus, especially on the SA,” he said.

New Senator John Acardo, a sophomore OMIS major, was the final candidate to come before the senate.

“We must strive to make the students’ lives here the best that they can be,” he said.

Candidate Scott Braun, a senior time arts major, was more concerned with the well-being of students.

“I want to help students and future students make NIU a better place to live and attend,” he said.

Braun was the only one not approved, after not receiving the mandatory two-thirds vote needed for senate approval.

The senate now has one open seat, which will be filled through the same process by other applicants.

In addition, the senate voted to recognize three new organizations. They were the NIU Gymnastics Club, the Northern Illinois Deaf Education Association and the Groundhogs, a breakdancing club.

SA President Kevin Miller had an announcement regarding Huskie football.

“This could be the biggest game NIU has seen in the last 10 years,” he said, referring to Saturday’s game against undefeated Bowling Green University. “I’m going to designate this week ‘spirit week’ for all of NIU. Get out there and have fun.”