Books aid Child Care Center

By Robyn Clark

NIU’s Campus Child Care Center is holding its annual Children’s Book Fair today through Friday. The book fair will be open from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Child Care Center.

All are invited to browse the 1,800 books, parent resource material, early readers, calendars and other items being sold.

The primary fundraiser for the Campus Child Care Center is this book fair because the money made from it helps out with the buying of more equipment, said Chris Herrmann, director of Campus Child Care Center

“It really is our only fundraiser, and I think it is an appropriate fundraiser because it’s a book fair,” said Lisa Schmidt, assistant director of Campus Child Care. “It’s a wonderful thing to have, and it encourages children to start reading. And the money we gain from the book fair goes to buying things we may not have been able to afford on our own, like computers and toys for the kids.”

The book fair has been going on for about the past 15 years and typically brings in about 100 people every year.

One parent who utilizes both the center and the book fair came to the events so often she now volunteers her services during the annual book fair.

“I think books are very important for children,” said Penny Winterton, a secretary for the College of Education. “I think they are just something that they need in order to help better their education. Books and reading are just very important in that aspect.”

The center is located on Annie Glidden Road on the west side of Gabel Hall. The main entrance can be accessed by the circle drive in front of the building in parking lot 38. Tours of the facility are available. For information, call the center at 753-0125.