Alpha Phi Omega hosts National Service Week

By Robyn Clark

Alpha Phi Omega is holding its annual National Service Week through Sunday.

Founded in 1925, Alpha Phi Omega, a coed national service fraternity active on 350 college campuses nationwide, is the single most representative undergraduate intercollegiate organization in the United States. It also is the nation’s largest fraternity and the only one whose primary purpose is service.

Alpha Phi Omega is a not-for-profit organization. The purpose of this fraternity is to assemble college students in a national service fraternity in the fellowship of principles derived from the Scout Oath and Law of the Boy Scouts of America: “To develop leadership, to promote friendship and to provide service to humanity; and to further freedom that is our national, educational and intellectual heritage,” according to www.apo.org//about/index.shtml.

National Service Week 2002 is one of the largest college service projects in the U.S. The fraternity’s individual chapters sponsor campus and community projects simultaneously throughout the country to draw attention to a specific cause and to involve as many people as possible in a unified volunteer effort. This year’s theme is “Utilizing Our Resources To Build a Stronger Community and Nation.”

Eta, the local chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, is participating in events that reinforce this year’s theme.

“Some of the things we are doing this year are a blood drive, sending cards to soldiers overseas and a canned food drive,” service Vice President Rebecca Allen said.

Some students believe the services held by the Eta chapter are an extremely positive thing.

“It’s a pretty good idea,” said Megan Schleich, junior physical therapy major. “It’ll be uplifting for veterans to get those cards, and I would love to participate in the blood drive if I could give blood.”

Mary Kay Meegan, junior physical therapy major, agreed.

“I think it’s great that they are doing something like this,” Meegan said. “I would like to participate in the canned food drive and the cards for veterans because I think it’s very important.”