Death becomes them

By Andrew Duff

In the basement of Anderson Hall is a large room that is filled wall-to-wall with human bodies covered in white sheets. Brains float in jars along the front wall. The only sound between classes is the constant thrum of the air conditioner.

“This program has existed for 12 years, and we’re up to body No. 144,” said Daniel Olson, director of the anatomy laboratory.

The Anderson cadaver lab is used for two classes, including Biology 311, which is about functional human anatomy and uses two bodies.

The other, a more intensive course, is Biology 446, Gross (meaning “seeing with the unaided eye”) Human Anatomy. Students in the course major in physical therapy, and the class uses nine cadavers.

The first question most people ask when they enter the cadaver lab is, “What’s that smell?”

“It’s a combination of preserves to keep the bodies fresh,” Olson said.

Because all kinesiology and physical education majors need to take a course with cadavers, the question of how many students can’t handle cutting open the bodies has come up.

“I’ve had a couple of students who haven’t been able to finish the course, and have switched majors,” Olson said.

The typical cadaver is between 60 and 70 years old, though the lab has had donor bodies that aged into the 90s.

In physical therapy anatomy, students study for a test on the heart, lungs and abdominal cavity. While lab co-founder Chris Hubbard held up a heart and helped students identify the ventricles, Olson wandered from body to body, fielding questions from students.

“It’s been a great experience,” said Stephanie Lab, a graduate biology student, as she removed the rib cage from her cadaver.

Jennifer Rio, another graduate biology student and Lab’s lab partner, agreed.

“I’ve learned more about the human body than I ever thought I would,” Rio said.

The body they were working on, a female who passed away when she was 79 of a heart attack, had a tight, cloth mask over her face and head.

“We keep it very impersonal,” Rio said.

Because the course is one semester long, students have to rush into the dissection process. Biology 446 meets for two-and-a-half hours of intensive study three times each week.

“No one has left the class, and the first day we got right into it,” Rio said.

Amidst the chatter of students as they examined their bodies, it’s hard not to wonder where all the bodies came from.

“When we came here in 1985, we used to get our bodies from the anatomical gift association, but it was unreliable for our course needs,” Olson said.

All bodies are donated to the lab, and many of DeKalb’s funeral homes have pamphlets that inform people about options for their bodies after they die, which include donating them to NIU for medical training.

“If anyone would like more information [on donation] please call,” said Olson, who can be reached at 753-3108. Hubbard can be reached at 753-3109.