Scholarship honors artist, available to NIU students

By Jen Bland

A scholarship honoring American blues artist Muddy Waters is being offered to NIU students.

Applications for the Muddy Waters Scholarship will be available to students throughout the month of February.

Evetta Dixon, daughter of Willie Dixon, founder of the Blues Heaven Foundation, said, “The scholarship was set up in honor of Muddy Waters because he was the first honorary board member of the Blues Heaven Foundation, Inc.”

According to a pamphlet outlining the scholarship, Willie Dixon established the Blues Heaven Foundation not only to assist in documentation and promotion of blues music, but to also be a supporter of blues artists and the business of music.

Muddy Waters has been referred to as the most imitated electric blues artist of all time.

Blues Heaven Foundation honorary board members include such artists as Dan Aykroyd, Eric Clapton, Niles Siegel, Mighty Joe Young and George Thorogood.

The scholarship is offered to full-time students in the Chicago area. It is geared toward students who are studying music, arts management, African-American History, journalism, performing arts or a related field.

This will be the foundation’s sixth award given in Waters’ name. Dixon said the scholarship is not strictly offered to minorities.

The scholarship is a one-time award of $2,000 given to students who demonstrate their achievements both scholastically and in extra-curricular activities.

Eligibility also will be based on projected expenses and student and family income. In addition, special consideration will be given to applicants demonstrating a need for financial assistance.

To receive an application, interested students can write to Blues Heaven Foundation, Inc., 249 North Brand Blvd., #590, Glendale, CA 91203.

Participating students will be required to fill out the application, send in their transcripts and submit two recommendations.

“The students should ask two people who know them well, preferably professors, to write them recommendations,” Dixon said.

The application deadline is March 31 and the recipient will be announced May 15.