Government jobs may be just a test away

By Andrew Duff

NIU, along with the Central Management Services of Illinois, will hold a job forum for those interested in Illinois government jobs.

“We’re looking for upwards of 300 people at the event,” said Gail Simpson, program director for Minority Outreach.

Minority Outreach, the organization sponsoring the event, was started in 1999 by Gov. Ryan to encourage minorities to apply for state jobs.

“It was started in response to Gov. Ryan’s Executive order 15, to diversify the government,” Simpson said.

The forum will allow students to talk one-on-one with human resource specialists and take the standard testing for a job.

“It depends on the title, but we usually allow up to four hours for testing,” Simpson said. “It doesn’t usually take anywhere near that long.”

The “title” is the position you’re applying for, such as office aid or a job in employment security.

The testing, however, does not guarantee a person a job.

People who apply and pass the testing end up on an eligibility list. From the list, you may be called for a possible interview.

So how long does it take for someone on the list to find out if they have a job?

“Difficult to say, but they’ll stay on the list for one year and can have an interview. After the year, though, they have to go through testing again,” Simpson said.

It doesn’t take much for students interested in a government job to prepare for the testing.

“There’s not a whole lot you can do; most of the test is general questions, which are related to the title,” Simpson said.

Grades for the testing fall into As, Bs, Cs and failure. Only As are considered for state jobs.

All students are encouraged to attend, regardless of their major.u What: State government job testing and counseling

Where: Holmes Student Center’s Lincoln Room

When: Today

Orientation: 8 a.m.

On-site Testing: 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

Counseling: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.