SA Senate selects committees

By Sara Blankenheim

The Student Association Senate recently approved its committee appointments. There are five different committees that senators can be appointed to.

Senate Speaker Frank Woodin was in charge of appointing senators to committees.

“I tried to put leadership in different roles,” he said. “I put veteran senators on all committees.”

The Finance Committee consists of 15 people, but they are not all senators. The committee has the final say on all financial allocations toward groups organized or funded by the SA.

“They’ll look over your budget and past budgets, and what you did over the last couple years,” Woodin said. “If you’ve done a lot of good things, chances are we’ll award you [the increase] you wanted.”

The Internal Affairs Committee oversees all legislation.

When it receives a bill, the committee can make changes and send it back to the senate or completely veto it.

“If everyone doesn’t like it, it can get killed,” Woodin said. “Otherwise it can get revised and brought back [to the senate].”

The bill to form the Big-Time Entertainment Committee is a bill that the Internal Affairs Committee is analyzing.

The SA Services Committee promotes the understanding of the SA’s policies.

“They just keep an eye on all services wholly or partially funded by the SA,” Woodin said.

Some examples of services that receive SA funding include University Health Service, the Office of Campus Recreation, the Campus Child Care Center and Students’ Legal Assistance.

“We had a couple of problems with the SA Services Committee last year,” Woodin said. “This year, I took some veterans and put them on SA services to make sure they’d show up.”

The University Policy Committee promotes understanding of the university’s policies. Its members educate and recommend appropriate courses of action on the policies.

The Public Affairs Committee makes sure issues on campus get attention.

“Anything the student body has a problem with goes through this committee,” Woodin said.

An example of a past project of the Public Affairs Committee was an attempt to get an ATM in DuSable Hall.

“Pretty much everyone at some point in time has had a class in DuSable,” Woodin said. “We figured we could reach a large amount of people with that.”