CAB plans a plethora of events

By Sarah Rejnert

Campus Activities Board has a schedule full of different events that will quench almost anyone’s thirst for entertainment this semester.

The main goal this year is to change the preconceived notions that students have toward the organization, said Jen Suerth, CAB’s public relations coordinator.

“For CAB as a whole, the biggest goal is to change the way people see us,” she said. “I think this year we will do an excellent job with that. So many students think that we just waste their money and we want to show them that we don’t.”

Suerth is expecting great turnouts with all of the speakers committee events, especially the Nov. 12 appearance of Aneesa from MTV’s “The Real World: Chicago.”

Suerth also hopes to see increases in audiences at both Coffeehouse and concert events. Both committees are trying to work together to bring a lot of local shows to NIU.

“As with any big events that are in the works, I am not at liberty to say,” Suerth said.

However, this semester hasn’t started so well for CAB.

“We’ve had a rough start with the loss of a lot of coordinators for some committees,” Suerth said. “We’re always looking for student help working on the committees, though.”

The next big event sponsored by CAB is Family Weekend, Sept. 27 – 29, which Suerth expects to have a great turnout. The weekend’s most anticipated event is comedic magician Mike Hammer at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 28.

Homecoming 2002, “Huskie Power, More Than Meets the Eye,” begins Oct. 13 and runs until the football game against Central Michigan, followed by Casino Night, on Oct. 19. The week is full of Nooner concerts occurring every day at the King Memorial Commons, Yell-Like-Hell, the parade followed by a Spirit Barbeque and a NPHC Homecoming Dance.

CAB Speakers’ next event is a sex-role stereotype improv show called Sex Signals on Oct. 29 Aneesa will speak two weeks later.

“I think there will be a large turnout for her,” said Brooke Beyers, CAB’s Speakers coordinator. “I’ve heard that there’s a lot of excitement in the students for her. I wasn’t here when Julie [from “The Real World: New Orleans”] came, but I heard that it went great and I hope Aneesa does the same.” “We just can’t always do big-name people because we don’t have enough money,” Beyers explained.

The movie list from CAB films includes “Scooby Doo,” which will air throughout Family Weekend, “Spider-man” and even a Halloween Film Bash airing for 12 hours on Oct. 30. Beginning at 9 a.m., the bash will include “Friday the 13th,” “Scream” and “Silence of the Lambs.” Other movies scheduled include “A Clockwork Orange” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.”

Unless otherwise noted, all CAB-sponsored events are free.

For information, call the CAB office at 753-1580, or visit the Campus Life Building, Suite 160.