Latino art captures flavor of life

By Stephanie Barnes

Some say imagination is the key to artistic expression.

Imagination was on display Thursday at the Center for Latino and Latin-American Studies, as center art curator Abel Garcia presented a student art show entitled, “La Imaginacion Latina: The Latino Imagination.” The event showcased the art of undergraduate and graduate fine arts students.

Garcia, a graduate student, was excited about his first art presentation.

“What we’re trying to do here is show the contributions of Latinos in art. Hispanics are known for their artwork.”

Garcia says his work reflects the festive outdoor scenes of marketplaces, multi-colored umbrellas and recently, hot air balloons. Garcia developed his drawing techniques about six years ago and has been painting for one year. He revealed his first work of art, entitled, “El Ruso in el Mercado.” His second painting was titled, “Dancing Umbrellas.”

“It may seem a little odd, but I travel a lot, and I like to capture the reality of everyday life,” Garcia said. “I guess you can say I’m a people watcher.”

Graduate student Albina McPhail works to capture the essence of the Aztec and Navaho sites in Arizona and New Mexico. Her painting, entitled “Sleeping Rock” was created using various hues and tones to create a dark and mellow mood.

“One may ask, ‘Why is a Russian doing paintings with a Latino background?’ I like to experiment with imagery and techniques,” McPhail said. “My interpretation of a landscape was used with a photographic reference.”

Other paintings include Edgar Cesareo’s “The Corporate Aztec Calendar,” which featured the trademarks of various corporations such as McDonald’s, AT&T and IBM. Kathleen Fitzgerald’s “Soldiers at War in Turkey” was created using a different approach from her fellow artists. Her work was painted showing a giant turkey with two miniature soldiers hidden inside.

Junior art major Fernando Medina believes that art is a reflection of a collage of cultures associated with Latinos. Medina’s work was a self-portrait. He is considered an outstanding artist and was praised by Garcia as one of the most promising artists in the art department.

“In high school, he was painting at a college caliber,” Garcia said. “It’s really fascinating to look at his work.”

Graduate student Randi Stein-Vega has been painting for 12 years. She created a unique and vivid creation using three separate canvases as puzzle pieces.

“[Canvases] range in size according to how I feel about the piece,” Stein-Vega said. “I get a lot of inspiration from fabrics and other things. I always add as many colors as I can, and I don’t leave that much of the canvas blank.”

McPhail believes that art not only captures the imagination but the flavor of life.

“Artistry creates a positive mood and it reminds you of some moment in your life,” she said. “It’s like an alternate reality.”