Legal Assistance offers advice on leases

By Jen Bland

After spending a semester in the residence halls, some students want to jump into their own apartments.

Before signing leases, however, students might want to check with Students Legal Assistance at NIU for some helpful literature and advice.

Lynn Richards, a staff attorney for Students Legal Assistance, said, “If students want us to review their leases before (they move in), we’ll be happy to go over it with them. If students have problems, that’s what we’re here for.”

Richards advised students to shop around, compare leases and check management policies before moving into apartments.

“The most important issue for students to consider is who they want to live with and what they can afford,” Richards said.

She said there’s a big push for students to sign leases early. However, Richards said students have plenty of time to make up their minds, and things usually change before students move in.

There’s no need to worry about signing (leases) early unless students want a three- or four-bedroom apartment,” she said.

Richards discouraged students from trying to live with too many roommates. She said students should stop by the office and pick up roommate agreement forms to make sure everyone understands how things are going to be done.

The agreement gives a guideline describing who will pay for what and allows roommates to discuss other policies, such as the way in which overnight guests will be handled.

Students also are encouraged to make sure everyone knows who will do certain chores, what time everyone should be quiet and when roommates can throw parties.

Another helpful pamphlet is the tenant/landlord handbook. The handbook contains helpful information about code violations, tenant rights and discrimination.

Richards also said Students Legal Assistance has a complaint form book available to students. “Students can find out what managers have had complaints filed against them and if they were fixed to the satisfaction of the tenant,” she said.

Another available pamphlet includes the Student Apartment Hunter’s Guide, a letter describing fair housing and equal opportunity laws and a condition report checklist.

Richards said DeKalb is unique because landlords standardly ask tenants to prepay their rent for the summer.

“That adds up to tenants paying for up to about five months rent before they move in,” Richards said. “It’s kind of a penalty against the students.”