Institute offers students volunteering opportunities

By Lesley Rogers

NIU students who have always wanted to volunteer and help people, but never were quite sure how, can have their questions answered Wednesday at NIU’s first Volunteer Institute in the Holmes Student Center.

The institute will be sponsored by the Student Volunteer Corps, Alpha Phi Omega and Sigma Lambda Sigma. Booths will be set up along the main hallway where students can stop and get information about volunteering opportunities.

Trisha Hoffman, Student Volunteer Corps coordinator, said the expo will provide community awareness.

“The Volunteer Institute will let students on campus find out about what opportunities are available in the community,” she said.

The Student Volunteer Corps contacted Alpha Phi Omega and Sigma Lambda Sigma to discuss ideas for the institute.

One of the many booths that will be set up in the HSC is Adventures in Barbland, a group made up of volunteers that are building a playground in DeKalb. The playground is designed by children and features accessibility for handicapped children, Hoffman said.

NIU students are needed to help plan and build the playground. Volunteers also are needed to help provide free day care to those doing the construction, she said.

Hoffman said students are not limited to the booths set up on Wednesday. “If students have a specific idea for volunteering that is not at the Volunteer Institute, the Student Volunteer Corps will work with the individual or group to meet their certain volunteer needs,” Hoffman said.

The Student Volunteer Corps is a “resource center,” and lists every volunteer option available to individuals and groups.

“Volunteering is a great way to get experience professionally and personally, especially in a direct service. Volunteers always get more out of it than what they put in.

“Helping other people is rewarding because of the long-lasting positive effect,” Hoffman said.