Committee to review student fees, make recommendations

By Rob Heselbarth

The President’s Fee Study Committee will meet this morning to discuss proposals for the allocation of student fees.

The task of the committee is to review current student fee levels, to assess any changes in fee recommendations and to ultimately make recommendations to the president with regard to fee levels for the following year.

Today’s committee meeting is slated for 8 a.m. in Lowden Hall Room 201.

Members of the committee include various members of the Student Association and assorted NIU staff members.

Donald Davidson, assistant provost for Resource and Planning and Fee Study Committee chair, said the organizations that can request monies are those organizations which are funded through student fee revenues.

The first meeting of the committee was Jan. 14 to discuss fee proposals from the law school, the Graduate Colloquia and The Northern Star.

It was confirmed by Star staff members at the meeting that their fee request for fiscal year 1994 involved no increase at this time.

SA President Paul Middleton said the SA felt comfortable with the student fee support as it represents only 10 percent of the Star’s income.

Proposals for the Law Bar Association and the Graduate Colloquia were reviewed without much discussion.

The agenda for this morning’s proposals for fee requests will be presented by the University Health Service, Student Grant-in-Aid and Student-to-Student Grant.

Future committee meetings are scheduled every Thursday morning at 8 a.m. in Lowden 201. The last meeting this semester is Feb. 11.