Don’t think Rush, just do it

When I started out as a freshman here at NIU, there were a lot of things I was not informed about. No one mentioned how I wouldn’t be able to use both hands in basic sink procedures because of those dandy auto-shut off faucets in the halls, or that the odds of getting that perfect schedule are about the same as finding a math recitation teacher who has some control of the English language. There was one thing, though, that I did stumble upon on my own.

It was almost a year ago that I made my first hike (of many) out to that hidden land of Greek Row. Fortunately, I went into the Rush process with an open mind, free of any stereotypes which might have thrown off my judgement. And I stopped by as many houses as time allowed, to get a feel for what this greek life was all about.

I had found a whole new campus, full of surprises and activity. And just to think that I would have missed out on all of this, if I had stayed inside like many guys on my floor did; most of them used the weather as an excuse.

Go out and give Rush a try. Yeah, it will be cold, but losing a couple of toes to frostbite will seem trivial compared to all that you will get out of greek life.

When you arrive at your first house, take a deep breath, and head on in. The key is to meet as many guys in the house as you can; that way you can get a basic feel for them, and they can do the same with you. You’re gonna get real sick of answering the basic five q’s of Fraternity Rush: “What’s your name?”

What’s your major?” “What year are you?” “Where did you go to high school?” and “What sports did you play?”

After you feel you have met a good number of guys, get your stamp and head to the next house. Be sure to take mental notes on which houses seemed to appeal to you, and return to them the next night to confirm your first impressions.

When the night is over, head home, crack a cold one, and gather your thoughts. After the second night, if a house feels that you would be a great addition to its greek family, they will offer you a bid. But before you sign it, be sure that you won’t be cheating yourself out of a better opportunity.

Remember that this is your decision, not your buddies’ or that girl you talked with in math class. It will be your next three or four years of college life, not theirs. If you are unsure, talk to the Rush chairman about “holding over” a semester.

If it is the house for you, then sign on the dotted line and welcome to greek life. There will more people, parties and activities than you could ever imagine. But, you won’t know if you don’t come out.