Students invited to attend ethnic expo

By Clint Gendusa

Students looking to widen their ethnic horizons should check out the Black Heritage Expo on Monday sponsored by the Black Student Union and the Center for Black Studies.

The expo will display a wide variety of clothing, books, art, artifacts, silk plants and T-shirts from African-American vendors, kicking off February as Black History Month.

The event is free of charge and open between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. in the Regency Room at the Holmes Student Center.

This is the first year the expo has hit the NIU campus. However, it has been running strong in Chicago for many years.

In the past, it has been known to be more elaborate with more corporate vendors and live entertainment.

Michelle Johnson, president of the Black Student Union, said she encourages all students to attend.

“The expo is open to all students to learn more about African-American history as well as purchase the merchandise on display,” Johnson said. “It is a great idea for this area because of the limited community goods with black heritage.

Along with the NIU black organizations, private vendors range from the DeKalb community to Rockford and Chicago.

Johnson said the Black Student Union is expecting a large turnout.

“We’re really excited about the expo and expect a positive response,” Johnson said. “Our hope for the future is to have this event more than once a year.”

For more information, call the Center for Black Studies at 753_1709 or the Black Student Union at 753_1848.