Double duty

By Marc Marin

In an era of increased specialization in the athletic world, Kris Tiedt is going against the trend.

The senior student-athlete is pulling double duty this semester as she plays for the women’s tennis and soccer teams.

Tiedt is quick to state the obvious.

“I’m extremely busy,” she said. “There are some days where I go to both practices, and every weekend there’s competition.”

While credit is due for her perseverance and the sacrifices she’s had to make, Tiedt instead deflects credit to the people who help make it all possible.

“My family, teammates, coaches, professors and trainers have all been real supportive,” Tiedt said. “That makes it easier to get through the tougher days, and I appreciate that.”

Tiedt also appreciates the juggling act her coaches, Laura Scott (tennis) and Frank Horvat (soccer), perform to get the most out of the time she has.

“When I was looking at schools originally, I was actually looking for a school that would let me play both, but most coaches aren’t willing to let you do that,” Tiedt said. “I feel fortunate that the coaches have worked together and made it work out this semester.”

Tiedt says her teammates also have helped make it work out this semester.

“I love both teams,” Tiedt said. “The tennis team I’ve always been really close with. I’ve only been with the soccer team the last two months or so, but I knew most of the players coming in.”

While some may not see the rationale in her decision to play two sports, Tiedt has her reasons.

She says the decision had been a long time coming.

“It’s just something that I’ve always wanted to do in college,” Tiedt said. “I really missed the team aspect of soccer. Tennis is team as well, but once you’re on the court, it’s up to the individual. I feel fortunate that I’ve been given this opportunity.”

Tiedt says her decision has been a good one so far, but she isn’t looking to make her present situation a permanent one.

“I’m glad that I did it this semester, but I don’t know if I would do it more than one year in a row,” Tiedt said. “I’m ambitious, but not stupid.”

When the fall soccer season ends after the MAC Championship Tournament in early November, Tiedt will leave no doubt which team will be her sole focus come spring.

Tiedt hinted at the answer this weekend when she helped the tennis team defeat Western Illinois 7-0 instead of traveling with the soccer team to take on Buffalo.

“In the spring, I’ll solely be focusing on tennis again,” Tiedt said. “I’m still on scholarship, so I feel devoted to the team.”