Campus safety, a dangerous road

By Bridget Brennan

Joan Metzger, an archives specialist at the NIU Regional History Center, was on her way to church before work Aug. 30 when she was almost hit by a car.

“I was signaling left and a car came from behind me and passed on the left,” she said.

Metzger said the driver, who was sporting an NIU parking permit, endangered Metzger’s life and broke two rules: crossing the double line and passing within 100 feet of an intersection.

“If you wouldn’t do it for someone in a car, why would you do it to someone on a bike?” Metzger said of her possible accident.

Another unlucky pedestrian recently was hit by a car while jaywalking across Lucinda. Though he walked away unhurt, he did manage to break the windshield of the oncoming car.

While driving down the street, a driver may not expect the many hazards present on Annie Glidden Road, Lucinda Avenue and other streets surrounding campus. Pedestrians, bikers, skaters and drivers all trying to get to their next class or back to their rooms have to maneuver around each other just to get from one point to another.

The campus speed limit, enforced by University Police, varies between 20 and 30 mph. Surrounding streets, such as Annie Glidden and Lucinda are under the jurisdiction of DeKalb police, UP Lt. John Hunter said.

“We run directed patrols at any given time, and we enforce the laws when we see them broken,” Hunter said.

Junior marketing major Silvija Zecevic, who lives on campus, gets annoyed by some of the driving habits of her fellow students.

“I’m afraid to drive on certain roads because of some drivers,” she said.

Bikers also have to take caution with their surroundings.

Freshman psychology major Mary Uitto walks from the residence halls to class every day.

“Most of the time I feel safe walking to my classes, but there are those few wild drivers who may come close to hitting students,” she said.

With thousands of students around campus, getting to class may be an adventure most days.

“Everyone should be more courteous and aware,” Metzger said.