Committee reviews student fees requested for next year

By Rob Heselbarth

The President’s Fee Study Committee met Thursday to review requests by NIU organizations for their use of student fees.

The task of the committee is to review student fee levels, to assess any changes in fee recommendations and to ultimately make recommendations to NIU President John La Tourette with regard to fee levels for the following year.

Proposals were presented by representatives for Student Activities and the Mass Transit Board.

Donald Davidson, President’s Fee Study Committee chair and assistant provost for Resource Planning, said the mass transit board representatives submitted a proposed budget for the current year.

“We asked the transit people to supply an accounting of their current budget,” Davidson said.

The proposal submitted from the student activities representatives included an increase in the amount of student fees requested.

“The requested increase will allow the Student Association to bring up the student activities account to a more adequate level,” he said.

“The SA’s goal is to support new activities,” he said. “Some of the activities will be for non-traditional students and ethnic students.”

Davidson said the increased funding also will allow for an increase in funding for programs that already exist.

The next President’s Fee Study Committee meeting will be at 8 a.m. Feb. 4 in Lowden Hall 201.